Sunday, July 6, 2008

What every joint supplies

I feel compelled to unpack some of the verses I presented in my first post and describe how I think it supports a layman's theology. And since I have a degree in mathematics and love order I'll begin with the first in the list.

Ephesians 4: 15-16 "but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him who is the head, even Christ, from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love."


From my learning as a younger Christian I heard that Ephesians was a circular letter that was written originally with a blank where the word Ephesians is now recorded. I also learned that this letter was part of a group of letters that Paul wrote at the same time. The group being Colossians, Philemon, and Ephesians. This letter here is the only letter of Paul's that is not written to a specific group to solve a problem but rather sent to several churches for their encouragement. In this letter it is clear that Paul is trying to express and describe something that is difficult for him to convey in the written language. Over and over again he talks about the indwelling Lord and having the believers see where they are in God and who God is to them. He is trying to get them to see with spiritual eyes. But he is not trying to get individuals to see but trying to get them to see as a people. In this verse he says that "we are to grow up into Him." It is clear in Paul's mind that he is not separating his experience from the experience of his brothers and sisters. Their experience or should I say destination is one. Additionally the growth that he expects of himself he expects of the recipients of the letter. Keep in mind that this letter is addressed not only to the Ephesians but was left blank to be circulated among several churches.

"the whole body ... being fitted and held together by what every joint supplies" In order for the Church to function and operate the way Paul sees it it requires the functioning of every member of the body. Each member is to supply their portion. My first experience in church had me sitting in a pew on a weekly basis, singing songs to the Lord, and greeting the person next to me. There were opportunities during the week for me to "minister" teach bible studies, participate in youth group, ... which I did, but I did not have the freedom to supply anything when all of my brothers and sisters were there, and I definitely was not being fitted and held together with them during this time. My second experience in church was as part of a house church group where each member was free to share as the spirit led, and I was able to exhort my brothers and sisters, say a prayer to the Lord, start a song, prepare a message to share, share a testimony, the meeting was completely free to share whatever the Lord had placed on my heart. I was able to share my layman theology. This supply comes from the Lord it is the essence of what I call layman theology. Every member has access to God and is able to share with the saints what the Lord is saying to them and it is valid, not because of its lining up with a clergy man's doctrine, but because it was received from the Lord. And each person's spirit is able to discern what is and what is not from the Lord. The Lord gave his Spirit to us for that purpose.

"according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love."

Paul indicates here that in order for the body to grow properly, it is necessary for each individual part to function properly. These functioning requires freedom for the Lord to express himself in the meetings of believers and for the members to be connected together in a community. I always found it difficult to get to know my brothers and sisters while sitting in church. It always felt awkward and unnatural, however, in the meetings I've been in where brothers and sisters were free to share it became natural to get to know one them, because I heard their heart for the Lord during the meetings. Another thing I want to point out in this verse was the body built itself up in love, not in knowledge or just through hearing sermons but through living their lives out together and loving one another through all the trials in life.

This is it for now, and I'll begin to post more about the other verses later in the week, but this upcoming week in our church meeting I am sharing my testimony so I thought it would be a good chance to share it with anyone who cares to read this blog some day in the future. So the next couple of posts will be my journey in life and with the Lord.

No comments: